How to get rid of bedbugs from your home
What are bedbugs, how do they come inside your home and how to get rid of them in a simple and effective way
What are bedbugs?
Bedbugs are nuisance that are making a come back in the United States, plus they plague many other places in the world. Furthermore, bedbugs can be a serious problem if they spray on bedliner not taken care off. A bedbug is an insect that lives off of human and mammal blood. In fact, it needs the blood to survive.
Not only is the blood that it sucks its nutrition, it is also its oxygen supply. In the past, bedbugs lived in caves and sucked off the blood of bats. As humans came onto the scene and started to reside in caves, the bedbugs started to live on human blood as well.
How do bedbugs come into my home?
Bedbugs can come into your home and you might not even know about them. These pests are very tiny and difficult to see. They come into your home through some of the smallest of openings.
Bedbugs can come in through an opening as small as the space of an outlet if the face plate is not screwed on properly. Bedbugs can also come into your home when you have cracks in the walls or spaces between the floor boards.
Can bedbugs cause health problems?
Bedbugs in general are not as dangerous as other blood feeding insects such as mosquitoes though they inject a small amount of their saliva into the victim, so the bite area may be just like a mosquito bite. You might have some itching in the bite area but you should avoid scratching it.
In some cases, people can develop some allergic reactions to the saliva and have some serious complications. Unlike mosquitoes, who are known to carry dangerous pathogens that can cause diseases, such as West Nile, malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever, encephalitis and other diseases, bedbug is not really known to carry any diseases.
If you do seem to have some problems due to bedbug bites such as severe itching, see your doctor. Usually, a physician will prescribe antihistamines to treat the itching.
How do I know if I have bedbugs and where should I look?
Because bedbugs are small, they are very difficult to detect. The one way you can suspect that your home is infested with these critters is if you or other people in your home are complaining of bites when they wake up in the morning.
This is usually the most common way people find out that their home is infested with bedbugs. Bedbugs usually bite people when they are asleep, so you should do some of the following steps to find the bedbugs.
- Examine all areas in your house where people sleep such as bedrooms or rooms where you have a sofa-bed where guests sleep when they visit your home. These are usually the places where bedbugs will reside in your home.
- Check all your beds, bed liners, linens, creases and other areas in and around the beds. Bedbugs usually like to hide in those areas because this area is close to their food supply. Furthermore, bedbugs have heat sensors on their antennas and can sense the presence of a person being asleep by sensing his or her body heat.
- Check curtains and other bedroom furniture such as wicker chairs and other pieces of furniture that has many nooks and crannies where bedbugs can hide and be out of sight.
I know I have bedbugs, but how do I get rid of them?
Once you know that you have bedbugs in your home, there are several ways that you can get rid of them.
- If you have enough money, get rid of the mattress. Mattresses are the most common place where bedbugs reside. If you take out the mattress, you take away the infestation as well.
- If you cannot afford a new mattress, cover the mattress with a sealable cover that encloses the entire mattress. You should vacuum the mattress before you cover it.
- Wash all clothes and draperies with hot water. Bedbugs could also be residing in your wardrobe or in your draperies or curtains.
Are there any insecticides or other natural ways to kill off and repel bedbugs?
Although you can buy some insecticides that you can get from some places which are supposed to be for bedbugs, but if you have a real problem with bedbugs, you would be better off not undertaking the problem by yourself.
Bedbugs can be very difficult to exterminate by yourself, so you should call a professional exterminator to take care of the problem. Furthermore, using bug sprays in your mattress can be dangerous since some of these sprays can have toxic fumes.
There is also an effective treatment offered by a company called Q Based Solutions. This brand offers several different nontoxic chemicals to effectively kill bedbugs. Using their Destroy product line is an effective tool that can be done by anyone.
The way this system works is by using a powder that punctures the bedbug’s outer armor and sucks out its body fluids. This powder is applied by the use of the Destroy bedbug Pistol.
You should apply this powder to your mattress, spring box, in glass containers that can be placed on the legs of your bed, night table drawers, head boards of your bed, and in electrical outlets. This will allow for the maximum number of bedbugs to come into contact with the powder and will eventually die.
After treating the mattress with this solution, you should place the mattress into a vinyl sealable bag that would trap all the bedbugs which are in the creases and crevasses in the mattress to be dead within days. Furthermore, when sealed in the vinyl bag, these pests cannot bite anymore. Their favorite place becomes a death trap.